Friday 6 May 2016

Priming, do we need to?

To prime or not to prime, that is the question.  Lots of modellers do, lots of modellers don't, each modeller has their own reasons for their method and as we only do this activity for ourselves then of course that's perfectly acceptable (unless you sell primer and state modellers should always prime, but then I can understand why they'd want to say that).

As for me, I very rarely prime as I don't see the need.  The reasons are;

Paint.  I use GSI Creos and Mr. Paint which both etch into the plastic so durability doesn't come into it.

Kit choice.  I normally only build kits which fit very well and thus need little or no filler.  Seams are easy to glue and clean up so I don't need to hide flaws.  If flaws become apparent after the paint goes down, I'll fix it and touch up.

Detail.  Some panel lines, rivets etc can be very fine so another paint layer will affect the depth and crispness of the detail.  Some primers are very fine and won't affect this much, but they all will to some extent.

NMF.  For piece of mind I will normally prime underneath Alclad (my paint of choice).  It's so thin it will show every teeny tiny little flaw...

But...

I have used primers though.  I tried that Stynylrez stuff on the MiG-29.  It was impressive, pulling into the detail but even some of the finer panel lines on the nacelles were affected to some extent and the wash struggled.  The model didn't need it, I thought I'd give it a go.  I will also use it on the Shackleton I'm doing at the moment as there's been quite a bit of filling and sanding so it may help with getting a smooth base coat.

I do tend to use primers on my armour models, this is primarily owing to all the brass PE stuff I vomit all over them.  It helps to unify the undercoat for an even finish and helps prevent chipping paint off the metal.

So that's my 2p on the subject.  Prime everything, prime sometimes, never prime.  It's up to you.

13 comments:

  1. "Up to you". . indeed, just never state anything to do with priming is essential as a final statement. Because sometimes it's essential, sometimes it isn't, sometimes you just want to, sometimes you see no need. No definitive answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless you're trying to sell primer, then there's loads of reasons to use a primer! Lolz

      Delete
  2. hmm, I think I just learned a modeling tip from you, that you probably didn't intend to be one, haha

    I have always been a "wash, then prime, then paint" guy

    I now use Stynylrez, as a base for my "delicate aquous acrylics" But, if Mr Paint etches into the model, I can use their White (or the Light Gull Gray) as my primer, and save one layer of paint on the model

    I will give that a try, and see what my paint adhesion is like.

    Thanks for this Blog post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Paint do their own primer, I hear it's very good so you might want to check that out.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always primed and it's probably a hangover from my Airforce days when I used to hangout with the Surface Finishers who gave me lots of tips. My preference is Tamiya's Fine Primer and as I mostly build 1/48 and upwards and also re-scribe it's generally not a problem. On the smaller scales though I tend to be a little more careful and not overdo it. I also lightly sand after priming, which tends to knock it back a bit. I use both Mr Hobby and Mr Color paints and for me priming is a must.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic. How do you do this that this blog is so good?
    Models

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Up to you. Indeed, we must as a final statement to do with some of the never-priming. Sometimes it is, sometimes not, sometimes you just sometimes you want to have a final answe.
    http://www.outmaind.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jamie, is this newsletter now officially dead? Last one received was on May 7th 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No mate, it's just other things such as life, work and the book have got in the way. The book is nearly done so normal service will resume shortly.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Jamie, it's just that (talking about myself), we miss you. I also understand that Real Life is way more important. And I do follow you in FB. So all is not lost lol.

      Delete
    3. Just updated mate. 😉 Hope you enjoy it.

      Delete